“Health care and housing can no longer be divorced. After all, what’s more fundamental to a person’s well-being than a roof over their head?” Newsom said. “Doctors should be able to write prescriptions for housing the same way they do for insulin and antibiotics. Why not? (1)
Things you learn very quickly about Politicians are as follows:
(1) You don’t have to be “smart” just look “smart”.
(2) Shift responsibility to someone else whenever possible.
(3) Blame someone else whenever possible.
(4) Promise everything to everyone.
(5) Stall, stall and stall.
I’ve met a number of Local, State and Federal politicians during my life and I found out immediately that they almost all are running for re-election. The 5 points listed above (plus others) show how they do it.
(1) The premise that politicians are “Smart”. Examples are everywhere but the one I shook my head at the most was from L.A. City Council President’s solution to the Typhus problem in L.A. “Deploy an Army of Cats” to deal with the rat problem (2). Duh! Fleas!
(2) Shift Responsibility. Gavin Newsom trying to get Doctors to take the responsibility for resolving the homeless problem is a good example of this (1).
(3) Blame someone else whenever possible. Gavin Newsom is a perfect example of this, but far from the only example. Bill de Blasio, following Newsom’s lead, blames Trump for what is going on in New York City – It’s not my fault, it’s Trump’s (3). Unfortunately, it’s not just the homeless problem that shares this point. Mayor Jack Young of Baltimore (where I was a police Officer) states the following ‘I’m not committing the murders’(4) saying that and the other “Leaders” aren’t to blame for what is happening on Baltimore’s Streets. That’s not what all of the “Leadership” training I ever took taught.
(4) Promise everything to everyone. No examples needed just watch the election campaigns
(5) Stall, stall and stall. The homeless problems in California, Washington State, Austin, Texas and elsewhere, have been discussed in the Media for several years now and yet it continues to be debated, lied about, responsibility shifted and some people getting paid large sums of money (taxpayer money) to resolve issues that never get resolved. Recent examples of the unresolved problem continuing:
(5) California homeless flocking to Malibu beaches, dumping sewage |Fox Business – posted 02/19/20,
(6) 7.5 Tons Of Trash Removed In Homeless Camp Clean-Up Along American River Parkway – CBS Sacramento – posted 02/20/20
(7) Activists Say New City Ordinance Will Push Homeless Into Sacramento Neighborhoods – CBS Sacramento – posted 02/24/20
As Danny Westneat writes in “The Seattle Times” (8)
“The politics of our homelessness emergency: ‘Extraordinary measures’ that never seem to come” posted 02/22/20
Until we as voters elected people who actually want to get the job done, the homeless crisis will continue and fester
(1) Gavin Newsom mocked for saying doctors ‘should be able to write prescriptions for housing’ like for insulin, antibiotics – posted 02/22/20
(2) Los Angeles City Council’s president suggests to deploy ‘army of cats’ to deal with rat situation | Fox News – posted 02/17/19